- UPDATE ON TEXAS INSURANCE LAW
- AEPI CLOSES CHAPTER AFTER HAZING REPORTS
- DELTA UPSILON CLOSES IOWA CHAPTER FOLLOWING POT BUST
- GW ESTABLISHES EMAIL HOTLINE
- DOCUMENTS GIVEN TO A SCHOOL MAY BECOME PUBLIC RECORDS
- NEW PROPERTY TAX IN INDIANA?
- SAM AND CHAPMAN U. SETTLE FIRST AMENDMENT DISPUTE
- MEDICAL AMNESTY – GOOD SAMARITAN PROGRAMS
- DEPAUW AND DELTA ZETA SETTLE LITIGATON
- JOHNSON & WALES U. PREVAILS IN LITIGATION INVOLVING THE CLERY ACT; EASTERN MICHIGAN U. FINED $357,500 FOR CLERY ACT VIOLATONS
Newsletter > January 2008 > "AEPI CLOSES CHAPTER AFTER HAZING REPORTS"
AEPI CLOSES CHAPTER AFTER HAZING REPORTS
Dan McCarthy, Manley Burke
Alpha Epsilon Pi’s Beta Iota Chapter at Indiana University was recently closed following reports of hazing. The chapter, which was started in 1958, was on a deferred suspension from IU at the time of the incident because of earlier hazing and alcohol violations. According to an article on Reporter-Times.com, Dean of Students Dick McKaig stated that the chapter’s hazing allegations included “sleep deprivation, inciting fear, requiring behavior that could cause harm, and leaving members in a remote location and forcing them to walk back to campus.”
AEPi will be able to apply for re-instatement of the chapter at IU after two years. Andy Borans, AEPI’s Executive Director, quoted in the Reporter-Times.com article, stated that the chapter will seek a return to campus. “It is always difficult to close a chapter that has a long-standing history. We value our alumni who have worked so diligently with the chapter, the university and the international fraternity…. We look forward to returning to campus as a valuable entity of Indiana University and its Greek community.”
Section 35-42-2-2 of the Indiana Code defines hazing as “forcing or requiring another person: 1) with or without consent of the other person; and 2) as a condition of association with a group or organization; to perform an act that creates a substantial risk of bodily injury.” No criminal charges have been filed against any of Beta Iota’s members.